OpenNetGame is a collection of libraries aimed at facilitating the creation of online and networked multi-player, multi-platform games. It aims to simplify the effort of adding multi-player aspects to games. OpenNetGame provides an API for listing available servers and connecting players to each other. The API is broken up into two components.
- NetGameTrack - A Server and client library designed to list available servers on the local network or internet.
- NetGameConnect - Game networking for game connectivity and dealing with port forwarding via UPNP.
This collection of libraries are designed to be small, efficient and multi-platform. Currently, only Windows and Linux are supported but may gain additional platform support in the future. You should find enough information here to learn how to install the SDK and implement OpenNetGame libraries into your project.
Version 1.2 has been released!!! The latest release contains a host of bug fixes and new features. Some of the new features include
- NetGameConnect now does message processing in a background thread. No more need to manually pump messages.
- NetGameTrack has been simplified to make it easier to advertise a game on the internet and LAN in the same code flow.
- NetGameTrack Administrator has been updated to be much more user friendly.
- NetGameConnect is capable of much higher data transfer rates thanks to background threading.
- Lots of code enhancements and bug fixes.